20 Quotes for Self Leadership
Even way back when I was a kid, I had a penchant for quotes. Often times I'd find a single sentence that would give me a lot to reflect on. And I’m a little embarrassed to admit that some of them took me a while to fully grasp over the years. But as my interest in leadership blossomed I realized that there were so many quotes that have real meaning and are extremely versatile to many situations.
Over the years, I also formed the very firm belief that all leadership starts in the mirror. So that if we are going to lead others, we must become effective first at leading ourselves. So I started working on a list of ideas and quotes that helped me see through the fog of my own paradigms. I added to and took away from the list many times so that the list eventually became 20 great quotes of “Self-Leadership”.
Please read the quote, think about what it means and then check yourself if you are doing these things most of the time. I hope that you enjoy the list.
1. Everything starts with attitude – you can choose your attitude.
2. Say something positive to someone every day.
3. Never act like a victim, never become a victim.
4. Take responsibility for yourself, your actions, and your team.
5. Take your responsibility, not yourself, seriously.
6. Say what you mean, do what you say.
7. Stand up and be counted (state your position). Don’t let people assume your opinions, they will usually be wrong.
8. Don’t complain; if you don’t like something, change it.
9. It is better to be respected than be liked.
10. Teach, coach and guide everyone; help your co-workers every chance you get.
11. Share credit with others, give credit where it is due, and accept credit humbly.
12. There is no such thing as “good enough.”
13. Be true to yourself.
14. Define success and communicate it regularly.
15. If it is important, measure it.
16. Create change and adapt to changes.
17. Be passionate, not emotional.
18. Don’t let problems go, address them as soon as you see them.
19. Pick and choose your battles – know when to advance, when to hold and when to retreat.
20. Never, ever, ever quit.